The ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas clearly, as well as interact effectively with colleagues in a concise and accurate manner is a key competency for achieving success in the Canadian workplace. For professionals who are immigrants to Canada and non-native English speakers, this can present a challenge.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Business English for International Professionals teaches you how to communicate appropriately in a Canadian English-speaking business environment, gain confidence in public speaking and presentations, and learn common terms used in business English. This part-time English as a second language (ESL) program offers you the flexibility to learn and improve these skills around your schedule.
- Courses are offered on a part-time basis and take place at UBC Robson Square in downtown Vancouver
- Requires completion of 6 courses over 18 months
- Costs between $1,900 and $2,100
- Accepts applications on an ongoing basis
- After completing this program you can expect to have a good foundation of Canadian business English terminologies, and the confidence to communicate and interact with colleagues and clients effectively in the Canadian workplace
Open all | Close all
- Learn how to communicate appropriately in a business environment
- Gain confidence in public speaking and presentations
- Learn common terms and expressions used in business English
- After completing this program you can expect to have a good foundation of Canadian business English terminologies and the confidence to communicate and interact with colleagues and clients in the Canadian workplace. You will be at an English language level equivalent to C1 of the Council of Europe's Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Who It's For
Designed for the non-native English speaker with a minimum English level equivalent to a solid A2 of the Council of Europes Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), this program is for those who may be currently employed, seeking a change in career or looking to advance their career in their current field of employment through better business English communication skills. This program may also be of interest to those who have recently immigrated to North America and are seeking employment in Canada for the first time.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Business English for International Professionals is a part-time program consisting of four required courses and two elective courses for a total of 83 classroom hours.
All courses are offered daytime and evenings on weekdays. Some courses are available during the day on Saturdays. All courses take place at UBC Robson Square, conveniently located in downtown Vancouver.
You are assessed based on participation and demonstrated improvements on oral abilities as well as the written assignments in the Business Writing Essentials course.
To be awarded the UBC Award of Achievement in Business English for International Professionals, you must complete all four required courses, two elective courses and attend 90% of your scheduled classes. All required courses and the two elective courses must be completed within 18 months.
The UBC Award of Achievement in Business English for International Professionals curriculum is interactive, incorporating pair and group activities with a focus on practical English communication skills development.
You must take all four required courses and two of the elective courses within 18 months.
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Speaking Clearly in English (WD102)||In-class||
Oct 18-Nov 22, 2017
|Power Pronunciation (WD112)||In-class||
Sep 28-Nov 16, 2017
|Public Speaking for International Professionals (WD103)||In-class||
Nov 2-Dec 7, 2017
|Business Writing Essentials (AW679)||In-class||
Jan 26-Mar 16, 2018
The instructors teaching courses in this program are all highly qualified and experienced English as Additional Language (EAL) teachers
Fees are paid on a course-by-course basis and range from a total program price of $1900 to $2100 depending on which electives are selected. A one-time non-refundable $175 application fee is due upon acceptance into the program. Fees are subject to change. Course fees include all course materials
Cancellation Fees and Withdrawal Policies
If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice at least three business days before the course begins to be eligible for a refund (less a $50 administration fee). An email is considered adequate written notification. No refund will be made for cancellations received later than three business days before the course begins.
UBC Extended Learning is sometimes forced to cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment or other reasons. If this occurs, you will be contacted by email or phone and a full refund will be provided.
Applications to the program are accepted on an ongoing basis. A $175 non-refundable application fee is due upon acceptance to the program.
The application process ensures that the students language proficiency, goals and objectives are adequately matched with the programs criteria and objectives.
Participants must apply and be accepted into the program before registering for courses.
- Complete the online application form.
- A program advisor will contact you.
- Once you have been accepted into the program, pay the $175 application fee.
Students who apply to this program, and have already taken up to two English Communications Skills courses from the curriculum list within the last year, will have those courses counted towards the UBC Award of Achievement in Business English for International Professionals.