Image is a derivative of photo by #WOCinTech.
Learn how to analyze and interpret data to inform strategies by looking beyond the numbers into the real story they tell. Gain skills to perform transparent and reproducible data analysis applicable to a wide range of professions and sectors, and discover how to leverage that information to make smart business decisions.
Come away from the program with a solid understanding of data science principles, hands-on data experience through projects, and essential job ready skills.
If you’re interested in specific programming skills, you might consider Introduction to Systematic Program Design in Python. Use this table to compare these programs to find the one that best suits your skills and career goals.
- Format: 100% online and instructor supported with weekly virtual office hours
- Duration: Three courses, ranging from seven to nine weeks long, approximately 50 hours per course
- Cost: $2,100 for the program or $795 per course (after September 2022, $2325 for the program or $860 per course)
- Prerequisite Course: Programming in Python for Data Science starts August 16, 2022
Open all | Close all
The UBC Certificate in Key Capabilities in Data Science provides skills to help you solve real-life problems using data. Gain a solid understanding of what data science is, and how its principles can be used in a variety of settings.
- By the end of the program, you’ll know how to do transparent and reproducible data analysis and apply data science techniques in a range of sectors, applicable to many fields.
- Gain the confidence and skills you need to start applying data science to data problems in your current role, or transition into a new position that requires more data-related knowledge.
- Learn whether a career in data science is right for you, and gain the skills to jump into a more advanced data science training program (e.g., the UBC Master of Data Science program).
The UBC Certificate in Key Capabilities in Data Science is a part-time program designed with your other life commitments in mind. The flexible online format offers:
- a supportive, interactive online environment to help keep you accountable and engaged without having to physically meet in a classroom
- leading-edge content developed and taught by instructors from the UBC Master of Data Science program
- a manageable weekly time commitment that allows you to continue working or to maintain other obligations
- project-based learning in each course so you can test and apply your knowledge
- regular assignments, assessments and discussion activities with your classmates to help you master course material and stay aware of your progress
- virtual office hours to connect with and receive support from your instructors
- valuable networking opportunities with peers, alumni and instructors both during and after the program.
Who is This Program For?
This program is designed for adult learners who want to gain in-demand and highly marketable skills or want to explore data science career options.
A background in data or technology is not expected, though some students may have had exposure to data analytics or statistics through their workplace or post-secondary education.
If you want to gain essential programming skills in Python, or want to gain systematic programming methods to build programs that deal with data, you might want to consider Introduction to Systematic Program Design in Python or Foundations of Software Development. Use this table to compare these programs to find the one that best suits your skills and career goals.
The UBC Certificate in Key Capabilities in Data Science is 100% online, part-time, and consists of one prerequisite course and two elective courses (or more, if you choose). The online format promotes accountability and allows for a high degree of personal engagement and interactivity without having to physically meet in a classroom.
You work through course modules on your own time, which are released weekly. Instructors offer virtual office hours, giving you an opportunity to ask questions. You also have access to a forum in which you can post and discuss questions with other students and course instructors.
One of the advantages of this program is that you don’t need to commit to all three courses at once. You can begin with one and then decide whether to continue with additional courses.
Courses do not have to be taken sequentially. However, Programming in Python for Data Science is a prerequisite to the other courses in this program. To earn your certificate, you must complete the prerequisite course plus at least two electives, for a total of 150 hours of coursework, and achieve a minimum of 70% in each course.
Each course requires approximately 50 hours of study. Expect to spend a minimum of 8–10 hours per week on each course if you have coding experience, or 10–12 hours per week for beginners.
You should have access to a desktop or laptop computer, an email account, the internet and an up-to-date web browser.
Programming in Python is the prerequisite course in the program. Choose two or more elective courses to complete the program and earn your certificate. Other courses can be taken in any order. Please note space in these courses is limited, and registration may close before the course start date, so we encourage you to register as soon as possible.
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Programming in Python for Data Science||Online||Aug 16 – Oct 17, 2022||More|
|Programming in Python for Data Science||Online||Oct 18 – Dec 19, 2022||More|
|Elective Courses (choose two or more)||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Introduction to Machine Learning||Online||Jun 21 – Aug 8, 2022||More|
|Data Visualization||Online||Aug 23 – Oct 17, 2022||More|
|The Data Science Toolbox||Online||Oct 11 – Dec 12, 2022||More|
|Introduction to Machine Learning||Online||Nov 1 – Dec 19, 2022||More|
|Data Visualization||Online||Jan 24 – Mar 20, 2023||More|
|The Data Science Toolbox||Online||Feb 21 – Apr 24, 2023||More|
Register for three courses at one time and save $285.
How am I Assessed?
You are assessed on each course according to UBC assessment guidelines to ensure successful acquisition of required skills and concepts.
To successfully complete the UBC Certificate in Key Capabilities in Data Science, you must complete the prerequisite and at least two elective courses, and achieve 70% or higher in each of the courses.
For a detailed syllabus, please contact us.
There are no required textbooks for these courses.
Developed and taught by many of the same instructors as the UBC Master of Data Science program. Key Capabilities in Data Science can help you cross over to an exciting new career or education path or open up a new range of possibilities in your current field.
The total program cost when you register for the prerequisite and two electives all at one time, is $2,100 ($2,325 after September 2022). The certificate graduation application fee is an additional $175.
Each individual course is $795 ($860 after September 2022). Save $50 off individual course fees if you register 30 days or more before each course start date.
Course fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, Mastercard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Obtaining Your Certificate