Image is a derivative of photo by #WOCinTech.
Learn how to analyze and interpret data to inform strategies by looking beyond the numbers into the real story they tell. Gain skills to perform transparent and reproducible data analysis applicable over a wide range of professions and sectors, and discover how to leverage that information to make smart business decisions.
Come away from the program with a solid understanding of data science principles, hands-on data experience through projects, and essential job ready skills.
Our four-course program is flexible and part-time. You can take courses individually or in a sequence, allowing you the opportunity to explore different data science topics, and assess whether it’s the right career for you.
- Format: 100% online instructor supported
- Duration: Four courses, each nine weeks long
- Cost: $795 per course
- Prerequisite course: starts June 29, 2021
Open all | Close all
The Key Capabilities in Data Science provides skills to help you solve real-life problems using data. Through four courses, gain a solid understanding of what data science is and how its principles can be used in a variety of settings.
- By the end of the program, you’ll know how to do transparent and reproducible data analysis and apply data science techniques in a range of sectors, applicable to many fields.
- Gain the confidence and skills you need to start applying data science to data problems in your current role, or transition into a new position that requires more data-related knowledge.
- Learn whether a career in data science is right for you, and gain the skills to jump into a more advanced data science training program (e.g., the UBC Master of Data Science program).
Key Capabilities in Data Science is a part-time program designed with your other life commitments in mind. The flexible online format offers:
- a supportive, interactive online environment to help keep you accountable and engaged without having to physically meet in a classroom
- leading-edge content developed and taught by instructors from the UBC Master of Data Science program
- a manageable weekly time commitment that allows you to continue working or to maintain other obligations
- project-based learning in each course so you can test and apply your knowledge
- regular assignments, assessments and discussion activities with your classmates to help you master course material and stay aware of your progress
- virtual office hours to connect with and receive support from your instructors
- valuable networking opportunities with peers, alumni and instructors both during and after the program.
Who is This Program For?
Key Capabilities in Data Science is designed for adult learners who want to gain in-demand and highly marketable skills or want to explore data science career options.
A background in data or technology is not expected, though some students may have had exposure to data analytics or statistics through their workplace or post-secondary education.
Key Capabilities in Data Science is 100% online, part-time, and consists of four courses. The online format promotes accountability and allows for a high degree of personal engagement and interactivity without having to physically meet in a classroom.
You work through course modules on your own time, which are released weekly. Instructors offer virtual office hours, giving you an opportunity to ask questions. You also have access to a forum in which you can post and discuss questions with other students and course instructors.
One of the advantages of this program is that you don’t need to commit to all four courses at once. You can begin with one and then decide whether to continue with additional courses.
Courses do not have to be taken sequentially. However, Programming in Python for Data Science is a prerequisite to the other courses in this series.
Each course requires approximately 50 hours of study. Expect to spend a minimum of 8-10 hours per week on each course if you have coding experience, or 10-12 hours per week for beginners.
You should have access to a desktop or laptop computer, an email account, the internet and an up-to-date web browser. You’ll also need access to a desktop or laptop computer.
Programming in Python is the prerequisite course in the program. Other courses can be taken in any order.
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Programming in Python for Data Science||Online||Jun 29 – Aug 30, 2021||Register|
|Elective Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Introduction to Machine Learning||Online||Jun 29 – Aug 16, 2021||Register|
|Data Visualization||Online||Sept 14 – Nov 1, 2021||Register|
|The Data Science Toolbox||Online||Launching 2022 *||TBD|
*This course is currently in development and is expected to be available for registration in 2022.
How am I Assessed?
You are assessed on each course according to UBC assessment guidelines to ensure successful acquisition of required skills and concepts.
Programming in Python is the prerequisite course in the program, and you must obtain 70% or higher and complete the final projects for each course before proceeding to the next course. To successfully complete the Key Capabilities in Data Science program, you must complete all four required courses and achieve 70% or higher for each of the four courses.
For a detailed syllabus, please contact us.
There are no required textbooks for this course.
Developed and taught by many of the same instructors as the UBC Master of Data Science program. Key Capabilities in Data Science can help you cross over to an exciting new career or education path or open up a new range of possibilities in your current field.
Each course costs $795. Save $50 off course fees if you register 30 days or more before each course start date.
Course fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, Mastercard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.