Image is a derivative of photo by #WOCinTech.
Learn how to analyze and interpret data to inform strategies by looking beyond the numbers into the real story they tell. You’ll learn how to perform transparent and reproducible data analysis applicable over a wide range of professions and sectors, discovering how to leverage that information to aid in making smart business decisions. Come away from the program with a solid understanding of data science principles, hands on data experience through projects and essential job ready skills.
Our four-course program is flexible and part-time. You can take courses individually or in a sequence, allowing you the opportunity to explore different data science topics, and assess whether it’s the right career for you.
- 100% online, four part-time courses
- 50 hours per course
- Minimum 8-10 hours per week if you have coding experience, minimum 10-12 hours per week for beginners
- At the end of this program you will have the ability to do transparent and reproducible data analysis which would be applicable in a wide range of professions.
- Next course starts: June 29, 2021
Open all | Close all
The Key Capabilities in Data Science provides skills to help you solve real-life problems using data. Through four courses gain a solid understanding of what data science is and how its principles can be used in a variety of settings.
- By the end of the program, you will learn how to apply data science techniques in a range of sectors, applicable to many fields.
- Gain the confidence and skills you need to start applying data science to data problems in your current role, or transition into a new position that requires more data-related knowledge.
- Learn whether a career in data science is right for you, and gain the skills to jump into a more advanced data science training program (e.g., the UBC Master of Data Science program).
Key Capabilities in Data Science is a part-time program designed with your other life commitments in mind. The flexible online format offers:
- a supportive, interactive online environment to help keep you accountable and engaged without having to physically meet in a classroom
- leading-edge content developed and taught by instructors from the UBC Master of Data Science program
- a manageable weekly time commitment that allows you to continue working or to maintain other obligations
- project-based learning in each course so you can test and apply your knowledge
- regular assignments, assessments and discussion activities with your classmates to help you master course material and stay aware of your progress
- virtual office hours to connect with and receive support from your instructors
- valuable networking opportunities with peers, alumni and instructors both during and after the program.
Who It's For
Key Capabilities in Data Science is designed for adult learners who want to gain in-demand and highly marketable skills or want to explore data science career options.
A background in data or technology is not expected, though some students may have had exposure to data analytics or statistics through their workplace or post-secondary education.
Key Capabilities in Data Science is 100% online, part-time, and consists of four courses. Each course requires approximately 50 hours of study, minimum of 8-10 hours per week if you have coding experience or 10-12 hours per week for beginners.
The online, real-time format promotes accountability and allows for a high degree of personal engagement and interactivity without having to physically meet in a classroom.
One of the advantages of this program is that you don’t need to commit to all four courses at once. You can begin with one and then decide whether to continue with additional courses.
Courses do not have to be taken sequentially; however, Programming in Python for Data Science is a prerequisite to the other courses in this series.
You may register for each course individually – a program application is not required.
You are assessed on each course according to UBC assessment guidelines to ensure successful acquisition of required skills and concepts.
Programming in Python is the prerequisite course in the program, and you must obtain 70% or higher and complete the final projects for each course before proceeding to the next course. To successfully complete the Key Capabilities in Data Science program, you must complete all four required courses and achieve 70% or higher for each of the four courses
For a detailed syllabus, please contact us.
All required reading materials are included in the course fee.
In order to participate in the Key Capabilities in Data Science program, you will need to have access to a computer, an email account and the internet. You will be provided with online access to UBC’s online learning platform.
UBC Extended Learning strongly recommends that students have the following technology requirements to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
- familiarity with basic Internet applications (email and web browser)
- a recent version of Chrome or Firefox web browser.
Programming in Python is the prerequisite course in the program. Other courses can be taken in any order.
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Programming in Python for Data Science||Online||Jun 29 – Aug 30, 2021||Register|
|Elective Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||Register|
|Introduction to Machine Learning||Online||Jun 29 – Aug 16, 2021||Register|
|Data Visualization||Online||Sept 14 – Nov 1, 2021||Register|
|The Data Science Toolbox||Online||TBD||TBD|
Developed and taught by many of the same instructors as the UBC Master of Data Science program. Key Capabilities in Data Science can help you cross over to an exciting new career or education path or open up a new range of possibilities in your current field.
Fees are paid on a course-by-course basis. Course fees include all course materials.
|Courses||Course Fee||Early bird per course fee (register/pay at least 4 weeks before course start date)|
|Programming in Python||$795||
|Introduction to Machine Learning||$795||
|The Data Science Toolbox||TBD||TBD|
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, MasterCard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Cancellation and Withdrawal Policies
If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice at least three business days before the course begins to be eligible for a refund (less a CAD$50 administration fee). An email is considered adequate written notification. No refund will be made for cancellations received later than three business days before the course begins.