Some of our courses offer live virtual sessions that are delivered by Zoom, a video conferencing app.
To join a live online class with Zoom
- Download and install the Zoom app. You don’t need an account to use Zoom, and the app is free to use. We recommend you download the app well in advance of your first live virtual session to ensure the best experience, and troubleshoot any issues.
- To join your live virtual session:
- i. Click on the Zoom link found in your registration confirmation email, or in your course’s learning management system (Canvas, Canvas Catalog or Learn.ExL) OR
- ii. Open the Zoom app and enter the meeting ID number and password OR
- iii. Copy/paste the link into your browser.
You can typically join your class or lecture 5–10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
Computer and System Requirements
Tips for using Zoom
- Test your audio and video before a Zoom session.
- Use a headset with a dedicated microphone. Built-in microphones in desktops, laptops and tablets often conflict with the system's speakers, and your audio may cut in and out.
- Choose a quiet place with minimal noise and visual distractions. This is especially important for interactive classes, such as languages.
- Certain courses may require you to have your video camera on as part of building a trusting learning environment. In larger lectures that aren't interactive, you can choose to join anonymously and leave your camera off.
- Turn off your mic to reduce ambient noise when you're not speaking.
- For larger lectures that aren’t interactive, you can choose to join anonymously.
Student Guide to Zoom at UBC
For additional instructions, tips and information about your privacy, please refer to the Zoom Student Guide at UBC.