Next Start Date: Sep 18, 2017 -- Limited Spaces Available
Collaborating, learning, adapting, and demonstrating leadership – regardless of title – are key to operating in complex and changing workplaces. More and more, coaching is seen as way to develop these capabilities in organizations.
The UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching is a experiential part-time accredited program in which you develop the skills and confidence to influence positive engagement, culture and performance in individuals, teams, and groups.
Leveraging UBC’s own experienced organizational coaching community, you will learn from ICF-certified instructors and mentors, and gain valuable practice and ICF- accredited coaching hours working with individuals and teams.
As an executive, manager, leader, coach, or consultant, you are in a position to unlock the personal and professional potential of your colleagues, peers, and clients. Our coaching program gives you the skills and competencies to change the quality of workplace conversations, and create powerful change in organizations.
- Creditial: 160-hour UBC certificate; Certified Organizational Coach (COC); approved International Coaching Federation Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP)
- Length: Eight months
- Blended Format: Part-time, online, and in-class
- Price: $9,450.
- Program Start Date: September 18, 2017
- Onsite Dates: Sep 27-30, 2017 and Jan 25-27, 2018 and Apr 26-28, 2018
- Location: UBC Point Grey Campus
- Qualification: UBC Certified Organizational Coach
- Benefits: 40+ hours of coaching practice, including 38+ ICF coaching hours; learn and create impact through 1:1 coaching and organizational team coaching projects in your practicum; ICF-accredited instructors and mentor coaches; train as an internal or external organizational coach.
Applications accepted on an ongoing basis.
Open all | Close all
As an executive, manager, leader, coach or consultant, you are in a position to unlock the personal and professional potential of your colleagues, peers, and clients. Our coaching program gives you the skills and competencies to change the quality of workplace conversations, and create sustainable change in organizations.
The 160-hour UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching is led and supported by ICF-accredited instructors, mentors and coaches from Coaching@UBC. The program builds your capacity as a manager, consultant, or coach:
- Learn to create change through 1:1 coaching and organizational team coaching projects in your practicum.
- Develop the ability to coach individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Gain the skills and competencies to change the quality of your conversations and make a powerful impact in organizations.
- Use coaching to influence team or group dynamics, capacity, and performance by understanding the complexities of organizations as systems.
Our certificate program is a designated Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP) through the International Coach Federation (ICF).
- apply concepts, theory, models, and practices from the program directly in your workplace
- develop and enhance your own coaching philosophy and practice
- exemplify coaching proficiencies in one-on-one coaching skills, including setting the foundation, co-creating the relationship, communicating effectively, and facilitating learning and results
- apply theoretical frameworks of human behaviour and change in order to understand and influence change in self and others
- master core coaching, communication and awareness skills through one-on-one mentorship, peer practice, reflection, and feedback
- consider how specific assessment tools develop team agility and strength
- demonstrate core coaching competencies to meet International Coach Federation credentialing requirements.
Who It's For
The program is for professionals in a range of workplace contexts, including:
- managers, human resources professionals, supervisors, and other leaders responsible for employee development
- leaders in organizations who are interested in starting or expanding a coaching program
- employees interested in developing their own skills as a coach
- experienced internal and external coaches in business and non-profit sectors wishing to deepen their framework of practice in an organizational setting
- independent consultants, corporate trainers, counsellors and other helping professionals wishing to deepen their skills and apply a coaching approach working with teams and groups.
The UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching is composed of an eight-month, part-time blended cohort program. Grounded in the theory and frameworks of human behaviour and change, the certificate combines strong academic content and practical application.
a.) Part-time cohort program: A cohort is a group of learners who are enrolled in the same program and core courses together. The cohort program includes 10 in-class days, online modules, and coaching practice through the certificate’s practicum components. The combination of onsite sessions and online delivery supports for a flexible, supportive and interactive learning model. In-person classes take place at heUBC Point Grey campus.
b.) Practicum: The practicum is a multifaceted approach with the aim of progressively developing your coaching skills by actively applying these skills first with your peers, then clients, and then with teams in an organizational context. Our ICF-accredited mentor coaching team adds depth, breadth and rigor to your natural instincts and you are coached throughout your practicum as a way of further honing your own coaching skills and presence.
New for 2017!
In previous years, learners were required to complete 30 hours of electives in addition to the core program. In 2017, all program requirements are now included in the core components. For learners enrolled prior to 2017, please refer to Elective Courses.
Assessment is based on satisfactory participation in onsite and online discussions and meeting the ICF Core Competencies.
You must successfully complete the onsite and online program requirements, and during the practicum, and pass the final coaching evaluation.
UBC Extended Learning strongly suggests that students have the following technology and expertise in order to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
- Familiarity with basic Internet applications (email and web browser)
- A recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or other web browser.
Your computer operating systems must meet the following minimum specifications:
- PC: Windows XP SP2 Home/Pro
- Mac: Mac OS x 10.4
The curriculum for the UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching was developed by UBC Extended Learning and Coaching@UBC in collaboration with professionals and highly qualified instructors. All share on-the-ground experience, and expertise in coaching, leadership, human resources practice, business, organizational development, mindfulness, neuroscience, humanistic psychology, adult education and consulting.
Part-time Cohort Courses:
- Coaching Fundamentals and Personal Mastery
- Organizational Context and Advanced Coaching
- Coaching Proficiency in the Organizational Context
Learners from cohorts prior to 2017, select your electives courses based on your needs and organizational context. A minimum of 30 hours of electives is required and allows you to customize your unique coaching specialty. Learners have up to two years to complete the electives and cohort program. Additional electives may be added as new needs are identified. Some elective courses are available for registration throughout the year:
|Elective Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Courageous Conversations for Leaders (LC119)||In-class||
Oct 20-Oct 20, 2017
|EQ for Smart Leadership (LC507)||In-class||
Nov 24-Nov 24, 2017
|Strategies for Effective Intercultural Communication (MC501)||Online||
Jan 18-Mar 2, 2018
|Group Leadership and Team Dynamics (LC522)||In-class||
|Appreciative Inquiry (LC608)||In-class||
Nov 30-Nov 30, 2017
|Appreciative Coaching (LC609)||In-class||
Dec 1-Dec 2, 2017
|A Coach Approach for Enhanced Facilitation (LC612)||In-class||
Nov 3-Nov 4, 2017
|Strategic Conversations and Meetings (AW657)||In-class||
Sep 30-Oct 7, 2017
|Preparing Presentations (AW656)||Online or In-class||
Jan 23-Mar 16, 2018
|Visual Facilitation (LC614)||In-class||
Nov 17-Nov 18, 2017
*Earn ICF approved Continuing Coaching Education (CCE) units
CCE’s refers to formal courses and seminars that teach skills or tools directly related to ICF Core Competencies, the personal development of the coach, the development of the coach's practice or other skills or tools that are directly applicable to coaching.
Note: ICF Credentials must be renewed every three years. The CCE requirement for certification renewal is 40 CCEUs over the three-year period.
The UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching and elective courses are taught by experienced educators, coaches and industry experts.
Learn from the experience of UBC's own Coaching@UBC program which was awarded the 2004-5 International Coaching Federation PRISM Award for excellence in business achievement through coaching. In addition, benefit from a variety of approaches that our professional team of certified coaches brings to the success of an organizational coaching practice.
A unique aspect of the UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching is the direct support every learner has by being assigned a Mentor Coach. The role of the Mentor Coach is to support the development of your coaching practice and skills through audited calls, feedback and coaching. You have an opportunity to work with mentor coaches one-on-one.
Advisory Committee Members
Our dynamic advisory committee represents thought-leaders, certified coaches, organizational directors and consultants, educators and UBC faculty. For a full listing of our advisory committee members review the program handbook.
The total cost for the part-time cohort program is $ 9,450 (no tax). This includes a $175 administration fee, a $500 non refundable deposit and a $350 fee for the Emotional Behaviours at Work (EBW) assessment. The deposit will be applied to the total fees. Subsequent tuition payments may be made in three installments:
Installment 1: August 17, 2017 $4425
Installment 2: October 19, 2017 $2000
Installment 3: December 7, 2017 $2000
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, MasterCard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Course fees include all course materials, with the exception of required textbooks. Those who register in the program are required to purchase the following textbooks themselves:
- L. Wildflower & D. Brennan (Eds.), (2011). The handbook of knowledge-based coaching. From theory to practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Britton, J.J. (2013). From one to many. Best practices for team and group coaching. Ontario: John Wiley & Sons Canada.
Before applying to this program, please read and understand the program handbook. The handbook contains detailed information about the program curriculum as well as important policies, terms and conditions that you are required to be aware of.
To accommodate learners from a variety of backgrounds, the admission requirements for the UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching are fairly broad. Participants must:
- have an undergraduate degree or equivalent
- have at least four years of relevant work experience
- be motivated to enroll in this program by relevant professional or personal experience or interest
- have a basic understanding of the coaching realm
- complete an informal admissions interview to assess readiness and the academic, interpersonal and communications skills sufficient to allow active participation in this dynamic and experiential program.
To discuss eligibility, prior experience and program relevance, contact us.
Your online application must include:
- A letter of intent (maximum 500 words) - this should include personal and/or career goals, interests and program expectations
- Current resume
- Two references
Once the application is received, the program team will contact you to schedule an informal admissions interview. This is an opportunity to discuss your needs and how the program can meet them. Once accepted into the program, you must pay the non-refundable deposit to secure a place in the program.
Certificate Request Process
When you have completed the 160-hour UBC Certificate in Organizational Coaching program requirements you will be eligible to graduate as a UBC Certified Organizational Coach. Please complete the Certificate Request Form.