The ability to have effective career coaching conversations with clients and the people you support can accelerate their personal development, enhance employee engagement and help people and cultures thrive.
Career Coaching Masterclass is a dynamic and holistic 8-week career coach training course that gives coaches the tools they need to support career-focused conversations. Learn skills and approaches to tap into self-reflection, visioning, goal-setting, implementing and more to strengthen your clients’ relationship with themselves, and enhance their ability to make decisions and navigate their careers.
Benefit from a community-based learning experience, with an emphasis on the “being” and “doing” of career coaching.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- use and apply the Hope-Action Theory, a model that connects career development, organizational coaching, and approaches to purposeful career conversations
- use strategies that stick and empower people and cultures to thrive
- strengthen your clients’ relationship with themselves to enhance their abilities to make career decisions in a positive, confident and hopeful manner
- observe and work with environmental factors and influences in a resilient and sustainable way
- access personal and systemic resilience and adaptability through a process of personal mastery and reflective practice
- extend these traits into your career coaching practice with your clients and the people you support.
The Hope-Action Theory consists of seven competencies that can be developed and incorporated into all aspects of your life. It has been researched and taught for more than a decade.
Who is the course for?
Past students who have benefitted from this course include:
- accredited coaches
- career counsellors, advisors and practitioners
- human resources generalists and partners
- organizational learning and development practitioners
- career services professionals in higher education
- government and organizational leaders
- community and Indigenous career services professionals.
Download the 8-week course outline and sample weekly schedule.
Meet your instructors
Dr. Norm Amundson, Dr. Spencer Niles, and Andrea Fruhling, PCC, COC, bring decades of combined practical, instructional and academic experience to this course. All are recognized industry leaders and experts in career coaching and development. Dr. Amundson and Dr. Niles are two of the co-founders of the Hope-Action Theory.
How am I assessed?
Your instructors assess your assignments throughout the program and your capstone project with a focus on:
- how and when you put learning from the program into action with clients
- a submitted case study highlighting specific strategies you used with clients
- completing the Hope-Action Inventory, both yours and your client’s
- a self-reflection demonstrating your transformation journey.
You receive a Letter of Completion upon successful completion of the course.
To be successful in this course, we recommend planning for a minimum of eight hours of work per week for eight weeks. This includes participating in live weekly 2-hour sessions, watching webinars, reading, completing assignments, connecting with your learning triad, joining collaboration groups and client work.
All materials are provided in the course.
To take this course, you’ll need access to:
- an email account
- a computer, laptop or tablet under five years old using Windows or macOS with access to a video camera and microphone
- the latest version of a web browser (or previous major version release)
- a reliable internet connection.
This course is 100% online and instructor supported with real-time classes. Live weekly online sessions are held Thursdays 3:30 – 5:30pm Pacific Time, and are recorded.
Join these weekly live sessions with your instructors by video conferencing to actively engage in shared learning experiences, and connect with fellow cohort members for discussion, experiential learning, and practice. Please note attendance for these sessions is mandatory.
You also take part in learning triads to practise new skills and receive in-the moment feedback. Share reflections and engage in learning conversations with your cohort through posts and ongoing conversations in a private online forum.
Outside of the live classes, access pre-recorded webinars and skill demonstrations. Read articles and book excerpts provided, and complete assignments to deepen learning. Gain access to resources and practical tools to support the implementation of new interventions with clients.