Frequently Asked Questions: Student Information

  Open all |   Close all

How do I register for a course or program?

For a course: You can register online, by telephone, mail or in person. See detailed instructions here. To register online, you will be required to
create an online profile in our registration system before your registration can be processed. 

For a program: Some programs require you to complete an application form to be considered for acceptance into the program. Please check the website for the program to which you are applying for detailed instructions. Creation of an online profile is not required to submit your program application.

How can I get a U-Pass or UBCcard?

The U-Pass and UBCcard are only available to eligible members of UBC'’s Alma Mater Society and the cost is automatically included as part of their student fees.

UBC Extended Learning students are not eligible for U-Pass, except students registered in the following programs:

  • International Undergraduate Study Preparation Program (IUSPP)
  • International Graduate Study Preparation Program (IGSPP) –Credit Stream (credit term only)

UBC Extended Learning students do not automatically qualify for a UBCcard. Some full-time UBC Extended Learning programs do issue UBC student cards with optional library access. The card is a picture ID to which other privileges may be added. Some programs may request library access for all students in a program. If not, students can pay the community rate for this privilege at the library circulation desk.

What if I have a medical condition or disability?

A student with a medical condition or disability that would impact his or her ability to fully participate in a UBC Extended Learning offering should contact the program for assistance well in advance of the course or program start date.

I can't find what I'm looking for. Who do I contact?

Contact the program responsible for your course or program.

What payment options do I have to pay for a course?

All course fees are payable in Canadian dollars. We accept cash, personal cheques*, certified cheques, bank drafts, debit cards**, wire transfers, Visa, and MasterCard. For wire transfer instructions, please contact the program responsible for your course or program.

If you are registering online and paying via credit card, only one credit card can be used for the entire transaction.

*Some exceptions apply. Please check with the program responsible for your course or program.

**Available in some locations.

Can I obtain a provincial student loan to pay for a program?

Student loans are limited to students enrolling in and attending a recognized full-time post-secondary level program leading to a formal credential. Part-time programs, due to their duration and course load, are not eligible for student loans at this time.

The UBC Certificate in Immigration (CILPP) program is a part-time, non-credit certificate program with UBC Extended Learning and is not eligible for a student loan. You may be eligible for a student loan from a bank or other lending institution.

Why is tax charged on some courses but not others?

Fees made payable to UBC Extended Learning are subject to tax with the following exceptions:

  1. language programs in Canada's two official languages (English and French)
  2. courses that are part of a certificate program
  3. accredited professional development courses or programs
  4. courses given outside Canada.
How do I get a T2202 tax receipt?

View details for eligibility and instructions on how to download your T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate.

I'm a UBC employee. How can I access UBC Extended Learning courses?

Most UBC employee groups are eligible for tuition fee waivers that reimburse or offset the cost of most UBC Extended Learning courses. Please visit the UBC Finance Tuition Fee Benefit website for information on eligibility and instructions on how to use your tuition fee benefit to take part in UBC Extended Learning courses. Since tuition fee benefits for UBC faculty and staff may differ depending on your employee group, please visit the UBC Human Resources Benefits website for information on your eligibility. Do not register for a course prior to submitting your tuition waiver.

If your department or faculty is funding the course, please submit an authorized journal voucher (JV) along with your registration to the appropriate program.

What are the prerequisites for a certificate or award of achievement program?

Each UBC Extended Learning program has specific prerequisites and/or admission guidelines. Review the web page for the certificate or award of achievement program that interests you for details. An admissions committee reviews applications to assess qualifications for programs.

Are students in certificate or award of achievement programs graded?

Some programs are graded. Please check with the program responsible for your program for more information.

What do I receive when I complete the certificate or award of achievement program?

Upon completing the program requirements, participants are awarded a UBC Certificate or Award of Achievement for their program.

Does completion of a UBC certificate program qualify for academic credits towards a diploma or degree program?

No, completion of our non-credit certificate programs cannot be applied towards UBC degree-credit diploma or degree programs at this time. However, some exceptions may apply for programs at other institutions. Please speak to the institution to which you are applying regarding their prior learning assessment policies. 

Where do I get parking or transit information?

For information regarding parking or transit directions for the UBC Vancouver campus and UBC Robson Square, click here.