Champion Blockchain with Confidence
Blockchain is quickly becoming an important tool for innovation, and for creating business and social value.
The UBC Micro-certificate in Blockchain Innovation and Implementation is a cohesive, non-technical part-time program designed for leaders and professionals who need the skills to understand, assess and champion blockchain initiatives. This 55-hour online and interactive program, built on industry expertise and leading-edge research from Blockchain@UBC, offers an unbiased and holistic perspective of blockchain, and is applicable to a wide range of industries and verticals.
Come away from the program with a holistic, foundational understanding of blockchain, a toolkit to evaluate blockchain use cases and opportunities, adoption, governance and scaling, and insights you can use to lead blockchain innovation and implementations that realize business and social value.
- Format: 100% online instructor supported with real-time classes
- Duration: Two courses, eight weeks (plus a one-week break between courses)
- Cost: $2,520
- Next intake: September 20, 2021
Open all | Close all
The UBC Micro-certificate in Blockchain Innovation and Implementation aims to not only make blockchain accessible and clear, but to equip you with the skills and tools to identify, assess and lead blockchain initiatives.
Through this program, you will:
- be introduced to a large number of blockchain use cases across industries
- gain a foundational (non-technical) understanding of blockchain, and its strengths and limitations
- understand the current state of how blockchain is being applied today to create business value, and connect the dots across the vast blockchain world
- be able to explain blockchain principles, use cases, and opportunities and barriers to others in plain English
- come away with frameworks to analyze, evaluate and critique blockchain solutions, whether it’s cryptocurrencies, NFTs, DeFi, supply chain, identity and many others
- gain a toolkit to lead the design, build, implementation and scaling of blockchain solutions tap into expert insights into leading blockchain innovations and implementations to realize business and social value
- work with a team to design a blockchain solution, and gain feedback from industry and academic experts and your peers.
You also have the opportunity to create a supportive network of peers for knowledge exchange and information sharing. An end-of-program industry networking event gives you a chance to meet guest experts working with blockchain technology, including entrepreneurs, consultants and professionals in established companies.
Who is This Program For?
This program is designed for:
- leaders and professionals interested in adopting and implementing blockchain, including product owners, product managers, project managers, information experts, business analysts, and marketing and communications experts
- executives who need to evaluate and make decisions on blockchain initiatives
- technology professionals who need a holistic business perspective of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
Entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and business or computer and technology students can also benefit from the skills taught in this program.
A technical skillset is not expected nor required for this program. Familiarity with management information systems, business applications, the internet of things or general technology topics can benefit your studies, however.
This part-time 100% online program is instructor-supported and combines self-paced independent study with live and interactive classes, making it ideal for working professionals.
Each course includes:
- videos that explain concepts and frameworks using real-world examples
- exclusive podcast interviews with leading industry and academic experts. Guests include founders of start-ups, leaders from established organizations, advisors and consultants, and academic experts at the frontier of blockchain research and applications
- interactive discussion forums
- a collaborative wiki (an open web page) where you can access and post resources.
Live online classes are held on six Fridays from 7pm to 9pm Pacific Time. Additional live online class time might also be scheduled during the design challenge group project in the final week of the program. Students are strongly encouraged to attend every live class.
Expect to spend approximately 5-7 hours a week to complete all learning activities, including attending instructor-led classes. In the last week of the program, plan to spend 12 hours preparing and presenting the design challenge group project, for a total of 55 hours of learning.
You should have access to a desktop or laptop computer, an email account, the internet and an up-to-date web browser. You’ll also need access to a desktop or laptop computer.
The program consists of two online courses taught over eight weeks, with a one-week break in between courses. Combined, the courses take approximately 55 hours to complete.
Blockchain Essentials for Leaders and Professionals is four weeks long and provides a fundamental, holistic understanding of blockchain technology and its applications in a wide range of industries and verticals.
Planning and Leading Blockchain Projects is four weeks and provides a toolkit and frameworks to lead and scale blockchain initiatives. The course includes:
- Four weeks of online classes
- A capstone design challenge in which you work in teams to design and present an original blockchain solution to a societal challenge
- A two-hour industry networking event
You can take Blockchain Essentials for Leaders and Professionals on its own, however the curriculum and content of both courses complement one another, and are integrated over the eight weeks. Blockchain Essentials for Leaders and Professionals is a prerequisite to Planning and Leading Blockchain Projects.
|Blockchain Essentials for Leaders and Professionals||September 20 – October 17, 2021|
|Planning and Leading Blockchain Projects||October 25 – November 21, 2021|
Register for both courses and save $280.
There’s a one-week break in between the first and second course.
How am I Assessed?
You’re assessed on your participation and ability to demonstrate that you have achieved course outcomes and competencies by completing weekly activities, participating in the discussion posts and your group design challenge presentation, and providing feedback on other groups’ blockchain solutions. You’re also strongly encouraged to attend the live online classes.
|Full micro-certificate program (both courses)||$2,520 (save $280)|
|Blockchain Essentials for Leaders and Professionals||$950|
|Planning and Leading Blockchain Projects||$1,850|
All fees are in Canadian dollars and subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, Mastercard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.