Champion Blockchain with Confidence
Blockchain is an emerging, but rapidly evolving technology that offers trust, transparency, traceability, accountability and immutability in business and social digital networks. It’s quickly becoming an important tool for innovation, and for creating business and social value. In a 2020 Deloitte Global Blockchain Survey, 88% of senior executives indicated they believe blockchain technology will eventually achieve mainstream adoption.
The new UBC Micro-certificate in Blockchain Innovation and Implementation is a cohesive part-time program designed for professionals who need to identify, assess and lead blockchain initiatives. This interactive program approaches blockchain from an unbiased and holistic perspective, does not require a technical background, and offers skills that are applicable in a wide range of industries and verticals.
With a curated curriculum built on industry expertise and leading-edge research from Blockchain@UBC, you’ll finish the program with the frameworks and know-how to successfully identify and evaluate blockchain technology opportunities, guide strategy and implement solutions.
- Format: Two 100% online instructor-supported courses with real-time class meetings
- Schedule: Requires 5–7 hours per week to complete coursework, plus 10 hours for the group project, for a total of about 50 hours over seven weeks. Live virtual classes are Wednesdays, 7pm–9pm Pacific Time
- Program fee: $2,599
- Program dates: March 1–April 25, 2021
- Next program date: Fall 2021
Open all | Close all
The UBC Micro-certificate in Blockchain Innovation and Implementation aims to not only make blockchain accessible and clear, but to equip you with the skills and tools to identify, assess and lead blockchain initiatives.
The cohesive, curated curriculum was developed by blockchain education pioneer Blockchain@UBC and draws on the expertise of industry partners. Course content approaches blockchain from an unbiased, holistic and non-technical perspective to demystify the technology and equip you with a toolkit to champion blockchain adoption and implementation.
Through this program, you will:
- be introduced to a large number of blockchain use cases across industries
- gain a foundational (non-technical) understanding of blockchain, and its strengths and limitations
- understand the current state of how blockchain is being applied today to create business value
- be able to explain blockchain principles, use cases, and opportunities and barriers to others in plain English
- analyze and critique the application (or potential application) of blockchain in various contexts
- acquire a toolkit for the design, adoption, governance and scaling of blockchain solutions
- gain expert insights into leading blockchain implementations
- work with a team to design a blockchain solution, and gain feedback from industry and academic experts and your peers.
You also have the opportunity to create a supportive network of peers for knowledge exchange and information sharing. An end-of-program industry networking event gives you a chance to meet guest experts working with blockchain technology, including entrepreneurs, consultants and professionals in established companies.
Who It’s For
This program is designed for:
- professionals interested in adopting and implementing blockchain, including product owners, product managers, project managers, information experts, business analysts, and marketing and communications experts
- executives who need to evaluate and make decisions on blockchain initiatives
- technology professionals who need a holistic business perspective of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
Entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and business or computer and technology students can also benefit from the skills taught in this program.
Technical skills are not required or expected for this program. Familiarity with management information systems, business applications, the internet of things or general technology topics can benefit your studies, however.
This part-time 100% online program is instructor-supported and combines self-paced independent study with live and interactive classes, making it ideal for working professionals. Class sizes are capped to ensure rich dialogue in live sessions and to build a close-knit community.
Each course includes:
- videos that explain concepts and frameworks using real-world examples
- exclusive podcast interviews with leading industry and academic experts. Guests include founders of start-ups, leaders from established organizations, advisors and consultants, and academic experts at the frontier of blockchain research and applications
- interactive discussion forums
- a collaborative wiki (an open web page) where you can access and post resources.
Program Hours and Expectations
Expect to spend approximately 5–7 hours a week to complete all learning activities, including attending instructor-facilitated classes, and 10+ hours to prepare and present the Design Challenge project, for a total of 50 hours of learning over seven weeks.
Live instructor-facilitated classes are held Wednesdays 7pm–9pm Pacific Time.
Students are expected to attend every class meeting.
You’re assessed on your contributions to pre- and post-class online discussions and posts, the Design Challenge final group project, and your constructive evaluation of other teams’ projects.
In order to participate fully in courses, you’ll need to have access to a computer, an email account and the internet. We recommend students have the following technology and system requirements to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
- familiarity with basic internet applications (email and web browser)
- a recent version of Chrome or Firefox
- familiarity with the web conferencing app Zoom
Although you don’t need a Zoom account to join your classes, you will need to install the Zoom application. You can do this ahead of time, or follow the prompts when you join your first Zoom session. Please refer to the UBC Zoom Student Guide at UBC for more information.
When you register, we will send you an email with instructions to access the program’s online learning management system.
The program comprises two online courses taught over seven weeks, with a one-week break in between courses:
Blockchain Foundations is three weeks and provides a fundamental, holistic understanding of blockchain technology and its applications in a wide range of industries and verticals.
Blockchain Implementation and Design Challenge is four weeks and provides a toolkit and frameworks to lead and scale blockchain initiatives. The course includes:
- Three weeks of online classes
- A capstone Design Challenge in which you work in teams to design and present an original blockchain solution to a societal challenge
- A 1.5 hour industry networking event
There's a one-week term break between courses. During the break, you vote on a societal challenge that you’ll use for the Design Challenge in the second course in the program.
|March 1–21, 2021||Blockchain Foundations|
|March 22–28, 2021||Term break|
|March 29–April 25, 2021||Blockchain Implementation and Design Challenge|
CHRIS ROWELL, DSc, has been researching, teaching and advising on the emerging blockchain and distributed ledger fields since 2017. Based in Australia, Chris provides educational, advisory and facilitation services around strategy, technology and innovation.
Before relocating to Australia in 2021, he was a postdoctoral research and teaching fellow at the UBC Sauder School of Business and Blockchain@UBC. He has taught blockchain strategy and management for undergraduate, graduate, MBA, professional and executive audiences.
Chris is passionate about how emerging technologies can change how we interact, organize, and create and capture value. He’s especially enthusiastic about the potential of blockchain to transform industry and societal sectors in ways that empower individuals and create social good.
He earned his doctorate in science, with a focus on technology strategy and venturing, from Aalto University in Helsinki in 2017.
|Full micro-certificate program (both courses)||$2,599 (save $300)||View Course|
|Blockchain Foundations||$1,150||View Course|
|Blockchain Implementation and Design Challenge||$1,749||View Course|
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, Mastercard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
You can take Blockchain Foundations on its own, however the curriculum and content of both courses complement one another, and are integrated over seven weeks. You must take Blockchain Foundations before Blockchain Implementation and Design Challenge. By taking both courses together, you not only save $300, but you will progress through the program with the same cohort of students.
Next program date: Fall 2021