Frequently Asked Questions: Immigration

Have questions regarding the UBC Certificate in Immigrations: Laws, Policies and Procedures? See some frequently asked questions and answers below, or contact us for more information.

  Open all |   Close all

What is the cost of the program? Are discounts available?

There are two ways to pay for the program: a one-time lump-sum fee, or by paying per course. The lump-sum program cost is $8,820 plus a $175 non-refundable application fee. If you pay by the earlybird deadline (at least four weeks prior to the program start date), you pay $8,330, plus application fee, for a savings of $490.

You can also pay for one course at a time. Each course is $1,335. Save $60 when you register on or before the earlybird deadline.

Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice.

What payment options do I have to pay for the program?

UBC Extended Learning accepts MasterCard®, Visa®, certified cheques (payable to "UBC") and wire transfer. For wire transfer instructions, please contact us.

Can I obtain a provincial student loan to pay for a program?

Student loans are limited to students enrolling in and attending a recognized full-time post-secondary level program leading to a formal credential. Part-time programs, due to their duration and course load, are not eligible for student loans at this time.

The UBC Certificate in Immigration (CILPP) program is a part-time, non-credit certificate program with UBC Extended Learning and is not eligible for a student loan. You may be eligible for a student loan from a bank or other lending institution.

How long will it take me to complete the certificate requirements?

The part-time blended program can be completed over nine months. The 100% online program varies from six to nine months.

What are the requirements to complete this program?

You must successfully complete all seven required courses (including the final project in Practical Skills for Immigration Professionals) with a combined minimum overall average of 70% to receive a UBC Certificate in Immigration: Laws, Policies and Procedures.

I am interested in enrolling in select courses, but not the full program. Is this possible?

The CILPP program also offers an ‘auditor’ option for the courses.  The ‘auditor’ option for the CILPP program is available to the general public (no admission requirements). Auditors receive the same course content and participate in the same webinars as regular students do; however, they do not complete assessments (are not graded). Auditors do not receive the CILPP certificate. The course fee to audit a course is $750 per course.

Can I do a combination of the blended and online courses to complete the CILPP program?

We encourage students to enrol in only one program format, either 100% online format, or the blended (online and in-class) format. Currently, we do not allow students to switch between the blended format and 100% online format.

What if I have to travel overseas for work and miss some classes in the blended program?

In many cases, accommodations can be made in advance with UBC Extended Learning to complete coursework and assignments from a distance. If you are away for an extended period of time, you may skip a course and take the course the next time it is offered to complete the program.

How do I apply to the program?

An online application form can be found in the Admissions and Registration section of the CILPP webpage. You will also find specific instructions on how to apply, and dates for the next intake. If you need further information on the program, we recommend attending an information session or contacting us at 604 827 4203.

What is a complete application package?

The following are required to enter the program:

(1) A completed online application form;

(2) Transcripts from a Canadian college/university or international credential evaluation report for foreign degrees;

(3) An approved English language test result; and

(4) A $175 non-refundable application fee (payable online or by certified cheque or wire transfer).

I am an international student or a person living overseas. Can I apply to the program?

Yes. The CILPP Program is open to applicants of all nationalities, regardless of residency or citizenship status in Canada (effective August 1, 2016). For those wishing to write the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) Full Skills Exam and become an ICCRC member after completing this program, please visit the ICCRC website for full details on admission requirements for how to become a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

If my degree and transcripts are from outside of Canada do I need to have them evaluated?

Yes. Foreign degrees, including those from the US, must be evaluated by an accredited credential evaluation institution. You may find a list of Canadian credential evaluation institutions here. Processing time may take four to six weeks.

I've taken some college courses, but I haven't completed my degree, can I apply?

You must have either a Canadian or foreign university degree, or the equivalent of two years of Canadian post-secondary education to apply to the CILPP program. Alternatively, you can also have a minimum of two years related full-time work experience in the field of immigration in Canada in order to apply to the CILPP program.

If your post-secondary education or your immigration work experience in Canada is less than two years, we will accept a combination of your post-secondary education and your relevant work experience.

See the Admissions and Registration section on the CILPP webpage for details.

Do I need to write an English Language Test before I apply to the program?

An English language test and minimum score are required of all CILPP applicants. This mandatory requirement helps ensure that learners are prepared to succeed in our rigorous academic program. See the Admissions and Registration section of the CILPP webpage for details.

Please note that membership in ICCRC also requires a higher minimum language score. For more information on ICCRC's language requirement, please see their website.

We realize that some learners enter our program with high levels of English proficiency and extensive professional and educational backgrounds. However, to ensure the overall integrity of our program, as well as academic fairness to all students, the admissions requirements are the same for all applicants regardless of their credentials.

What English Language Test can I take?

We accept the following English tests: IELTS-Academic Test, CAEL, CELPIP-General, and CanTEST. See the Admissions and Registration section on the CILPP webpage for more details. Please note we don’t accept IELTS - General Test nor the CELPIP General LS Test for admissions.

What is the deadline to submit my application?

We accept applications up to one week prior to the start of the program. Spaces are not guaranteed, however. Applicants are recommended to apply at least four weeks before the start of the certificate program to guarantee a seat in the program and to take advantage of earlybird pricing.

Once I complete the program does this mean I am a licensed Immigration Consultant?

No. The UBC Certificate in Immigration: Laws, Policies and Procedures Program is accredited by Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) as an immigration practitioners program that prepares students to write the ICCRC Full Skills Examination and provides them with skills and knowledge to succeed in immigration practice.

To become a licensed Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), students need to follow additional requirements as outlined by the ICCRC, which is the licensing body for all Canadian immigration consultants. For further membership details please view the ICCRC website.

How do I become a member of Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC)?

Please refer to the ICCRC website for membership requirements. You may also contact ICCRC directly at 1 877 836 7543.

As a UBC Extended Learning student am I eligible for U-Pass?

UBC Extended Learning students are not eligible for the U-Pass. The U-Pass is provided to degree/credit students who pay student union and other fees associated with a degree program at the university.

How can I get more information?

Contact us Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm Pacific Time at +1 604 822 1444. We'll be glad to answer any of your questions or concerns.

Is the CILPP Program tuition fee eligible for the T2202A tax certificate?

Yes, the CILPP program tuition fee is eligible for the T2202A tax certificate.

Please note that the T2202A tax certificate is based on the course start and end date and not on course registration date. You will receive a notification by email in late February outlining how to obtain your T2202A tax certificate. For more details, please visit the Tuition Tax Receipts page.