Even games with the most cutting-edge graphics and action can fail to deliver if the characters and storylines are not compelling. Develop your writing for interactive media and the gaming industry with this series of hands-on, online courses. No coding experience required!
Whether you have experience working in video games, designing narrative, or writing for other media, or are interested in learning new approaches to interactive storytelling, you will benefit from this program's specific concentration on narrative, dialogue, writing for cut scenes, and character development.
Get an insider's view into the gaming studio system not found in other programs. Learn the writing and production processes used in game creation from an industry veteran, and understand the writers role on a game development team. With each course, you build a portfolio of game writing, and the confidence and know-how to pitch your work and gain a foothold in this dynamic industry.
- Delivered 100% online
- Full program consists of six courses
- Option to take full program of individual courses
- Costs approximately $3,700
- Register for courses at your own pace
Read more about the program here.
Open all | Close all
This flexible, 100% online program gives participants the skills and tools needed to write strong, engaging plot lines and narrative for video games, including dialogue, backstory, storyboards, and world-building. You also learn the game creation process, how to plan and pitch your story, and how to work effectively in the studio system.
By the end of the program, you will be able to:
- understand how story complements gameplay
- storyboard your narrative
- create an original, immersive world for your game narrative
- create original and interesting characters
- develop unique voices for individual playable and non-playable characters
- make use of images to engage players and tell your story
- craft a story that will work with gameplay to create a strong final product
- write a creative bible
- plan and pitch your work.
Who It's For
The program is suitable for:
- recent high school or university graduates looking to enter the gaming industry
- those already in a gaming studio who wish to understand narrative or the writing process more clearly
- writers or communicators who want to improve their writing and narrative skills specifically for the gaming industry.
This program is offered 100% online; students register in individual courses at their convenience.
You receive feedback on each assignment and activity in the program; successful completion of courses and programs is determined by meeting the requirements outlined in each course.
An Internet connection is required to take this program, including the ability to play audio as some courseware may include voice lectures and/or video.
UBC Extended Learning strongly suggests that students have the following technology and expertise in order to keep up with the program and complete projects and assignments online:
- familiarity with basic Internet applications (email and web browser)
- a recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari or other web browser.
Your computer operating system must meet the following minimum specifications:
PC: Windows XP SP2 Home/Pro
Mac: Mac OS x 10.4.
The full program consists of six courses, which can be taken in any order (recommended order is below):
|Required Courses||Format(s)||Next Offering||More|
|Video Game Narrative (AW850)||Online||
Sep 25-Nov 30, 2018
|Writing Dialogue for Games (AW851)||Online||
Jul 3-Aug 10, 2018
|Visual Storytelling (AW853)||Online||
Jul 3-Aug 24, 2018
|World Building (AW852)||Online||
Sep 25-Nov 30, 2018
|Fantasy Fiction (AW854)||Online||
Sep 25-Nov 16, 2018
|The Working Game Writer (AW855)||Online||
Jul 3-Aug 10, 2018
If you wish to have your final portfolio assessed in order to receive a certificate of completion, there is a $300 non-refundable program fee. This includes both your portfolio assessment and certificate/graduation fee. Individual courses are paid separately, on a course-by-course basis, at the time of registration.
All fees are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change. Fees may be paid by Visa®, MasterCard®, cash, money order or certified cheque.
Cancellation and Withdrawal Policies
Online Courses: If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice at least three business days before the course begins to be eligible for a refund (less a $50 administration fee). An email is considered adequate written notification. No refund will be made for cancellations received later than three business days before the course begins. UBC Extended Learning is sometimes forced to cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment or other reasons. If this occurs, you will be contacted by email or by phone and a full refund provided.