Frequently Asked Questions: UBC Future Global Leaders

Open All  

What are the requirements to participate in UBC Future Global Leaders?

Find out what grades we require, and the minimum IELTS and TOEFL scores we recommend English language learners have.

Do I need to provide TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores to participate in Academic or English courses?

No! You do not need to provide TOEFL or IELTS scores or proof of your English Language proficiency. You assess your own language level if you haven’t taken these tests.

What happens if I will not get my school transcript/report card in time?

You can submit your most recent transcript or report card for consideration. For example, for UBC Future Global Leaders summer program 2021, we will accept report cards from winter 2020 (this might be your first semester or term).

When can I be confident that my course will run if I’m booking a flight?

We will make course cancellation decisions on or before April 30, 2021. We will notify students immediately. Should you wish to book flights earlier than April 30 and are concerned whether the course will run, please contact us for more information.

I will be 14 during UBC Future Global Leaders. Can I attend?

We will consider you if you are turning 15 during the program. You must have completed grade 10 or equivalent. If you register and do not meet the age requirements, we don’t issue a refund.

Younger students can consider other options at UBC. Please see UBC Camps for a large variety of camps, UBC Geering Up for engineering and science camps, and UBC Physics & Astronomy Outreach summer camps.

How can I pay my fees?

You can pay by credit card when you register. To pay by phone, please call +1 604 822 1444 weekdays 8:30am–4:30pm Pacific Time. For other methods of payment, please contact us for instructions. Under no circumstances should you email credit card information.

Are there scholarships or bursaries available for this program?

If you are a grade 11 student in British Columbia, you might be eligible for the UBC President Bursary Program.

What documents do I need on arrival at a Canadian airport?

Students should bring the following documents with them in their carry-on luggage:

  • Valid passport or travel documents for travelling to Canada
  • Entry visa (if required for your country of origin - contact your local Canadian Embassy or Consulate)
  • Confirmation of registration and receipts from the UBC Future Global Leaders program
  • Medical records for use of prescribed medication