Learn how to write informative and persuasive documents for the workplace that are clear, concise and professional.
Through a mix of individual assignments and group discussions, practise analyzing, planning, drafting and revising business and technical documents. Find out how to identify common pitfalls and weak points in business writing, and gain strategies to address and correct them.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- understand how to write for different audience groups, such as coworkers and clients
- learn practical business writing and communication strategies
- develop your style and professional writing skills
- write emails, memos, and letters
- learn to write for the web and other online sources
- understand the differences between effective and ineffective reports and proposals
- use persuasive appeals in business writing
You’ll also have a portfolio of your work that includes emails, memos and letters that showcases examples of effective writing.
Week 1: Understanding Workplace Communications
Week 2: Writing Effective Paragraphs, Emails, Memos and Letters
Week 3: Developing Your Writing Style and Avoiding Errors
Week 4: Writing for the Web and Social Media; Writing Concisely
Week 5: Understanding and Writing Complex Documents
Week 6: Editing and Finalizing Your Documents
You might also be interested in Writing for the Canadian Workplace: Advanced Topics. Take on more complex documents and audience situations, and learn how to approach challenging communication tasks. (Please note Writing for the Canadian Workplace: Introduction is not a pre-requisite to this more advanced course).
This course is offered 100% online