At the Intermediate and Advanced level, you should be able to understand everyday, non-technical speech in French, and be able to hold a fairly fluent conversation on a variety of topics.
Focus on improving your conversational fluency by acquiring more complex grammatical structures and sentence formations. Possible grammar topics, based on student needs, may include the advanced level verb tenses (conditional, future anterior, and introduction to subjunctive), or use of relative pronouns.
Increase your language spontaneity through interesting conversational exercises such as debates, presentations, cultural discussions, and small group work using French articles, poetry, websites and more.
Participants in this course should be at least 18 years of age.
Daily Schedule – 100% Online
In the mornings, focus on practical, true-to-life conversation practice in lively classes that blend instruction, feedback, small group and pair work.
On select afternoons, enjoy rich Francophone cultural experiences, workshops, or virtual visits from French-speaking guests who bring their unique culture and perspectives to your class.
How am I Assessed?
This is a non-credit course without letter or numerical grades. You receive verbal feedback on your conversation and grammar skills from your instructor during class. Written homework is typically corrected in class. Some lesson modules may include quizzes.
To participate, you’ll need access to:
- an email account
- a computer, laptop or tablet using Windows or macOS
- the latest version of a web browser (or previous major version release)
- a reliable internet connection
- a video camera and microphone.
No textbooks are required.
For online classes, you log in to your class at scheduled times and participate by video with Zoom, a web conferencing app. Outside of class time, you can access other materials online at your own pace and rhythm.
One business day before the course start date, we’ll email you step-by-step instructions for accessing your course. Please note you can log in to your course for up to three weeks after the course ends. You will not be able to access course materials after this time.
Please follow these steps to register for this Summer Institute.
- Click on Open all under Available Sessions. Please note all boxes are checked by default. Ignore the $0.00 total in the first row.
- If you’re registering for one week only, choose Standard fee (Online July 8-12). Uncheck all the other boxes.
- If you’re adding a second or third week, keep those respective boxes checked.
- Click ADD TO CART. Please note: You may only register for Week 3 if you are registered for Week 1 & Week 2.
- Click COMPLETE REGISTRATION, and you’ll be taken to a screen that says My Cart. At this point, you have the option of removing Week 2 and Week 3 if you have chosen these options but no longer wish to register for them.
Total fees appear next to Grand Total.