If you have little or no previous knowledge of French, Beginner 1 is the right level for you. Speak and hear French from the first day as you quickly gain basic conversation skills to communicate information about yourself, your family and friends, your work, and your daily life. Learn grammar, pronunciation, expressions and vocabulary that allow you to function in everyday settings.
Practise your new language skills in a relaxed environment with the support of our passionate and experienced instructors. Between classes, you can practise your skills using online resources chosen by your instructor.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- introduce and identify yourself, and greet others
- tell time
- give and ask for a telephone number or address
- describe one’s family and friends
- ask for and give directions
- speak about one’s tastes, preferences and interests
- speak about everyday actions
- accept or decline an invitation
- order in a restaurant, and make reservations.
Download a detailed course outline.
How am I Assessed?
This is a non-credit course without letter or numerical grades. You receive verbal feedback on your conversation and grammar skills from your instructor during class. Written homework is typically corrected in class. Some lesson modules may include quizzes.
You’ll need access to a laptop or desktop computer or tablet, an email account, and internet access and an up-to-date web browser. For real-time classes, you’ll also need access to a video camera and microphone.
There is no textbook for this course.
Choose from two formats:
- 100% online, instructor-supported with real-time classes or,
- Blended – Class sessions alternate between 100% online, instructor-supported real-time classes and in-person sessions. Classes may be held once a week or twice a week.
Learn more about online learning at Extended Learning.