Get in-demand cloud computing skills, experience and practice that set you apart. AWS Academy Cloud Foundations - Self-Paced is designed for students who want a broad understanding of cloud computing concepts, and who want to complete the modules on their own time.
Gain a real-world understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud practices, cloud concepts, AWS core services, security, architecture, pricing and support. Get practical experience you can use in your career with UBC-exclusive content that includes extra videos, hands-on labs plus screencasts, moderated group discussions and a final marked quiz.
Who It’s For
Consider this course if you’re an IT business decision maker in a technical or non-technical role. Managers and leaders who are familiar with digital and information technology can also benefit. The course is appropriate for those with limited technical backgrounds in business, marketing or sales roles.
This course is ideal if you’re a recent graduate from an institute, college or university program and want to add cloud computing to your skillset. It also offers a pathway to AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certification, or more advanced courses such as AWS Academy Cloud Architecting.
Upon Completion of This Course, You Will be Able to:
- Understand cloud computing, especially in the context of the AWS Cloud
- Explain how AWS pricing works and how AWS compares to traditional providers
- Identify the global infrastructure components of AWS
- Describe the security and compliance measures of the AWS Cloud
- Create a virtual private cloud network for usage with compute services
- Demonstrate when to use the various types of compute services
- Differentiate between AWS storage services and the difference levels of latency
- Demonstrate when to use AWS database services and the difference between SQL and NoSQL
- Explain the architectural principles of building solutions on the AWS Cloud
- Explore key concepts related to distributed computing, monitoring, and reliability
AWS experts develop and maintain course content for the AWS Academy. Regular course updates reflect the pace of innovation, new releases and best practices. You can enrol knowing you’ll always be learning the latest cloud computing technology.
AWS-authored content includes:
- 20 hours of course content
- Student Guide: Introduction to AWS Cloud Foundations
- Ten modules that include videos, a student guide and an auto-graded quiz
- Six labs with exercises
- One case study
- One free practice exam
- 50% discount voucher for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam
In addition to AWS Academy content, UBC students receive exclusive bonus material:
- Three videos that feature Canadian business case studies developed by Justin Fox, a director of software engineering at Mastercard and an AWS Academy Accredited Instructor
- An online discussion forum
- Screencasts of labs
- A marked quiz at the end of the course
- A UBC letter of completion upon finishing the course and final quiz
Switch to AWS Academy Cloud Foundations - Instructor Supported
If you enrol in this course and decide you need a more supported learning experience, you can upgrade to AWS Academy Cloud Foundations - Instructor Supported by simply paying the difference in course fees.
Each AWS Academy Cloud Foundations Self-Paced session has a registration start and end date. Because courses are 100% online and self-paced, you can register and begin the course at any time within the date range. You progress through the course on your time and at your own pace, and have 12 months to complete the course from date of registration. Expect to spend a total of 20–22 hours to complete AWS Academy Cloud Foundations Self-Paced.