The UBC Extended Learning Centre for Intercultural Communication (CIC) aims to provide transformative educational experiences that challenge conventional attitudes and practices, and foster respectful intercultural leadership and engagement across differences. In a world that is increasingly interconnected, CIC provides programs and services for individuals and organizations to promote effective intercultural communication, cross-cultural intelligence, diversity and inclusion.
Whether you want to build inclusive practices in your organization, work more effectively in international settings, or engage across differences in your community with more ease and confidence, our programs offer unique opportunities to deepen your knowledge and strengthen your skills.
Karen Rolston, Director
Programs and courses include:
- Diversity and Inclusion build inclusive practices within your team and community
- Intercultural Communication increase your intercultural and diversity knowledge base, cultivate cultural intelligence and build your cross-cultural communication skills
- Facilitator Development get new strategies to train, facilitate and engage with diverse adult learners
- International Development acquire the knowledge, skills and contacts to function effectively in international assignments
- Immigration get critical skills and information to make the most of your immigration practice or consultancy
Established in 1982, CIC envisions a society in which all people are fully able to live, work, grow and engage in equitable and inclusive communities that value diversity in all its forms. We aim to embody our values and our work through:
- Learning empowering and supporting ourselves and others to achieve excellence
- Curiosity deepening inquiry and knowledge, and building appreciation across cultures and communities
- Interconnectedness connecting across differences, perspectives, and borders to build capacity as individuals, communities and organizations
- Passion fueling our spirits to engage and daring us to imagine and seek new possibilities
- Inclusion creating inclusive and respectful communities that appreciate and value differences
- Social Responsibility participating actively to create a just world.
Instructors and Consultants
CIC instructors and facilitators bring intercultural expertise and experience from their own varied cultural backgrounds.